Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"Crash Course" Response

The material presented by Chris Martenson is not enlightening. While at SUNY Cortland I decided to minor in economics so this dvd did not consist of any new information to me. While watching this documentary I felt as though I were sitting through all of my economics courses once again.

The information explained throughout "Crash Course" was well explained, but rather conflicting at times. Having minored in economics I was disappointed at Chris Martenson's lack of resources. He explained the terms and "current" economic situation okay, but he could have made himself sound more professional had he used common economic theories to help support his arguments. I must admit that I do not remember all of the economists or theories that I studied but I do know that Chris Martenson was not the first person to develop these thoughts. I'm not saying that he has taken someone else's work and is trying to pass it off as his own, I do not believe he did that at all. What I am saying is that it would have benefited the legitimacy of this documentary had Chris Martenson connected his theories to more findings of other economists and researchers.

It is evident that America is in the midst of a time of economic turmoil. There is no escaping the feeling of recession because it has affected everyone and every place in our country. The fact that Chris Martenson dedicated a decent amount of time explaining debt and the effects of debt on our economy is embarrassing. Clearly Americans are in such financial trouble because of the amount of saving vs. spending. America has a history of spending; we are not a country that saves money very well. Debt is something that is difficult for Americans to understand because it is so easy to charge purchases onto a credit card or find a loan to buy a car or pay for college. It is in our culture to have the newest and coolest products, regardless (for the most part) of cost. Self liquidating debt and non self liquidating debt makes no difference because the lack of money will not stop someone from buying/paying for something they "need".

There are many serious problems when it comes to the economy in America. I do not believe that Chris Martenson's "Crash Course" documentary will make much of a difference. For someone who does not have a background in economics this is an easy to follow explanation and an almost too simple solution to our problem. However, the only real material that I got out of this dvd was that I should not feel so glum about the tens of thousands of student loans that I need to repay. Student loans are considered to be self liquidating debts, which means they will provide the opportunity to pay themselves back. In all honesty it will take me well over a decade to pay back all of my student loans. I am going to be a teacher, not an engineer. I will have a very rewarding job (once I secure one) with a salary that is a fraction of my debts. But that's okay, because the ridiculous amount of money that I am borrowing to pay for my education will eventually be paid off by the future job I can expect to find because of the degrees I hold. "Eventually" being the key word.

2 comments:

  1. Great comment. I agree with you as far as the economic talk that was going on. The debt talk also made me feel pretty horrible as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope that you can find a job. With the demographics (especially here in NY) of a declining population, and an existing teacher corps that may, or may not be able to retire, it might be hard for new teachers, like yourself, to find that position.

    I hope that my fears don't come true.

    Also, you only really commented on the economics, and I think the value of the CC is that Dr. Martenson ties together disparate disciplines that are, unfortunately, taught in isolation.

    I don't think many people actually see how all these things are connected.

    ReplyDelete