Thursday, March 25, 2010

Garage Band Exploration!

While we were tooling around with Garage Band I became more familiar with the application. It never occurred to me before that that guitar icon on my computer could be so much fun to use! My younger brother used to play around with this application when we first got the computer, but I was never interested in using it. Now that I have been introduced to the application on a somewhat in depth level I will be more apt to utilize it.


The coolest tidbit of information that I gained from Tuesday night's class was "the midi". Who knew that there were so many music files online that you can download (for free) then tinker with in Garage Band? Considering I had never heard the term "midi" before, it actually made me think of the word Medieval, I was unaware of the files. To be honest, I thought that Garage Band was an application for people who wanted to be music composers, people who actually knew a little about music. Since I have absolutely no knowledge of music (other than how to turn on my radio and ipod) I may have been a little intimidated by the thought of such an application. However, after our introduction and exploration to Garage Band I am not afraid to go home and create (or adapt) music! Who knows, maybe I'll even let Tom teach me how to play the piano... I've always wanted to play something besides "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"!

As an educator, this is an application that I could possibly use in my future classroom. If there is a child who is inspired by music they could be introduced to Garage Band. I could use the application as supplemental music education. Garage Band would allow me to create tunes to play during transition times or as a signal for clean up time. The class and I could even create a jingle of our own! The possibilities of Garage Band teaming up with a teacher are endless!

-If you happen to forget how to use Garage Band there is a very helpful link on the Apple website:
http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/

No comments:

Post a Comment