Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Growing Up Online

The documentary that we watched in class was very interesting, especially because I grew up on the cusp on this generation. When I was in middle school the internet craze took root in adolescents and all of a sudden chatting online was the thing to do.

Some of the children depicted in the video I can relate to because I remember feeling the same way, like when Cam and his siblings were expected to provide their mother with an all-access pass to their passwords and pages. I agree with their choice to not give their information to their mom, I would have done the same thing. It is understandable that a parent wants to protect their child, but they must respect the trust line. It seemed as though, in this situation, the mother was not respecting the trust and privacy of her children.

The controversy of "Amber" struck me as unusual. I have never shared the same feelings as her but I can see how she felt that the internet was a safe haven, a new home. Sometimes the internet can become an alternate world for an individual, especially one who has not yet figured out who they are. It was nice to learn that her parents became accepting of her online activity and that her life has gotten better. Her story seems to have a happy ending.

While watching this documentary I couldn't help but think of what I would do if I were one of those parents. The whole time I kept saying to myself "I will never let my child go online" but I realize that that is not an acceptable solution. Cam's sister figured out it was much easier to just go online at her friends' houses than at home, that is an easy way to get around my house rule. I believe it is important to educate our children about the potential dangers online and to make sure they know how to properly use the internet. If used correctly, the internet can be a very helpful resource for children both academically and socially.

No comments:

Post a Comment